Friday, April 18, 2014



                                        How to Move From Pursuit to Living Out Your Purpose


This was a post contributed to Lead to Impact.



Many are the plans in a man’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails.
~Proverbs 19:21

Are you in pursuit of your purpose? Are you chasing after your destiny? Do you think your purpose will show up in a one size fits all answer? Have you allowed someone else’s truth to become your truth as it relates to your purpose? 

If you answered yes to either question, STOP right there! This may be the root of your disappointment, your frustration or the fact that your feeling stuck and in a never ending vicious cycle of self-defeat. You’re not alone, I was there. 

What I discovered changed my life dramatically. I moved from pursuing my passion to living it out loud.  

Purpose Struggle
What I discovered changed my life dramatically. I moved from pursuing my passion to living it out loud. 


Shortly after I had left a secure job of twelve years, I was out to lunch and ran into a former colleague. Of course we had to catch up with each other, talked a bit about how things were going with family and the new career I would embarked upon.

As we were preparing to depart, I stated, I really miss you all and wish I could come back. He stopped looked at me briefly and said, we would take you back in a heartbeat, but you are doing what you are called to do, you are living out your purpose.

We hugged and departed ways. As, I walked away, I thought to myself, am I really? For several months, I often found myself pondering this question. I read and re-read every book on purpose that I could get my hands on.

Purpose discovered
In reading, there were a few revelations, however nothing that just stuck, nothing that brought me closer to finding my purpose. One day, I was flipping through an old journal from 2003. As I began flipping the pages, I noticed one common theme, on the top of every single journal entry that year; I had written the following scripture:


“For I know the plans, I have for you, says the Lord. Plans to prosper and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11-13

And the last page in the journal had this one scripture:
“The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me; your steadfast love, O Lord, endures forever, Do not forsake the work of your hands.” Psalm 138:8

There was my answer. The promises of the scripture had come to life in that instant.
All this time, I was asking God to do something so I would discover my purpose and He did. He created me! You and I were created with purpose in mind. Everything around us was designed so that we could live out our purpose in life, not chase it down
Purpose lived out
Are you ready to live out your purpose? Here are five ways I am continuing to live out my purpose.

1.  Seek Him with All of Your Heart- Not every purpose is known to us, which is why we must seek Him, draw close to Him and He will reveal those things we need to know as we live out our purpose. One thing is certain, His promises are true and they will come to pass.

2.  Declare It- Say it out loud. You have what you say! Exodus 9:16 says, But indeed for this purpose I have raised you up, that I may show My power in you, and that My name may be declared in all the earth. How amazing is that, God’s love for you runs so deep, He has given you all that you need, so declare your declaration unto the Lord every day.

3.  Embrace It- Embrace your purpose and live according to the voice of God for your life. Embrace the thought that living out your purpose is about changing people’s lives and God created you for someone else. Your gift will make room for you, but your calling will impact nations.

4.  Meditate and Pray on It- As you are living out your purpose, prayer and meditation are critical. There are times to listen to the heart of God and there are times to speak. Trust his leading and remember, Romans 8:28 says, And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.

5.  Love It- Fall in love with the why of your purpose every day. Your passion will drive your success. It doesn’t mean that you won’t encounter obstacles or a challenge, that is the beauty of living out your purpose, they are part of the journey and IT will all work for your good.  Remember Romans 8:28

Everything you do from this moment forward should be focused and centered on living out your purpose and not chasing it. Your passion will ignite a fire in you and will allow you to braze a trail for others to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment